Lactate Ringer Solution
Registered Trademark of Richmond Veterinary Division S.A.
Sterile solution for parenteral use
Isotonic solution for intravenous or intraosseous perfusion, similar to the electrolyte composition of the extracellular fluid, which provides a supplement of mineral salts and water for hydration. Use in Horses, Bovines, Pigs, Dogs, Cats.
Each 100 mL of solution contains:
Sodium Chloride 0.6 g; Sodium Lactate 0.31 g; Potassium Chloride 0.03 g; Calcium Chloride Dihydrate 0.02 g; Water for Injection q.s. 100 mL.
Total osmolarity: 274,16 mOsm/L
Indicatoins for use
Horses, cattle, pigs, dogs and cats.
Hydroelectrolytic replenishment of the extracellular space whatever the cause. Hydration in diabetic patients.
Hydrosaline depletion, mild metabolic acidosis, diarrhoea, burn shock, diabetic coma, polyurethane phase of acute renal failure, digestive fistulas, post-operative states.
Short-term plasma volume replenishment in states of hypovolemic shock (bleeding, burns and other problems causing loss of circulatory volume) or hypotension (drop in blood pressure).
- – States of mild or moderate metabolic acidosis (except lactic acidosis).
- – As a vehicle for the administration of compatible medications.
- – Rehydration of animals with profuse diarrhoea of any kind.
- – In water and electrolyte support of animals under anesthesia.
- – In the correction of acidic alterations of the body pH.
- – In the treatment of equine colic.
- – In reproductive procedures such as embryo washing.
- – Hydropericardium (liquids in the pericardium).
Dosage and Routes of Administration
Dose: As required and according to veterinary prescription.
Indicative maintenance dose for dogs and cats:
50-70 ml/kg/day. The indicated dose will be supplied at a rate of 7 ml/kg/h.
Dehydrated patients: The volume required to correct dehydration and contemporary losses should be added to the maintenance dose.
These volumes will depend on the decision of the acting veterinary doctor to use Richmond Lactate Ringer Solution alone or to combine it with others, according to the requirements of the patient to be treated. In puppies, volumes should be increased by up to 50% due to higher total body water content.
Maintenance dose for Horses, Pigs and Bovines
60-80 ml/kg./day. The indicated dose will be given at a rate of 7 ml/kg/h.
Dehydrated patients: The volume required to correct dehydration and contemporary losses must be added to the maintenance dose.
It is recommended to administer 30% of the total calculated dose in the first hour and the remaining 70% in the following 4 hours.
Route of administration: Intravenous or intraosseous infusion.
In most cases, the solution should be administered using a fluid administration guide, with macro or micro dropper, depending on the size of the patient to be treated. It must be connected to any type of device for venoclysis, that is, butterfly needles, abbocath, angiocath, venocath or similar. Otherwise, the guide should be connected to the cone of any of the tubing used to perform surgical venous channeling.
When the intraosseous route is used, the needles used for this purpose, butterfly type needles or hypodermic needles of the appropriate caliber and length for the patient to be treated can be used.
All the materials used must be sterile. They should be discarded after use, together with the empty bottle of solution, in the containers intended for pathogenic waste.
Hydrosaline retention, especially in patients with heart and/or kidney failure. Excessive administration may cause fluid overload and metabolic alkalosis related to excess intake or alteration of lactate metabolism.
Sodium Chloride should be used with extreme caution in overhydration, alkalosis, hypernatremia, hyperkalemia, hypercalcemia, severe arterial hypertension, hyperlactacidemias, edema of cardiac, renal or hepatic origin, prolonged treatments with steroids or ACTH, metabolic alkalosis and severe liver failure, liver cirrhosis. Patients with congestive heart failure, peripheral or pulmonary edema, pre-eclampsia, sodium retention condition, in patients with high blood pressure, severe renal failure, and in patients who are receiving corticosteroids or ACTH.
Solution incompatible with alcohol, cortisone, amphotericin B, histamine diphosphate, pentothal and sodium bicarbonate, digitalis and thiazide diuretics.
- It should be administered with care in animals with heart or kidney impairment. Do not use the solution when precipitation or clouding is present.
- Keep out of reach of children and pets.
- Store between 15 and 30 C, away from direct sunlight, in a dry and hygienic place, keeping its original packaging.
Mon a Fri: 08:00-17:00
Where we are
Fragata Heroína 4988 (B1615ICH)
Grand Bourg, Buenos Aires, Argentina.